I. Translate the following phrases:
1. in question 2. make compensation for
3. tinned goods 4. in good condition
5. shipping company 6. expiry date
7. freight space 8. unloading port
9. dispatch money 10. estimated time of arrival
II. Put in the missing words:
1. We shall appreciate it if you will inform us ______ the condition of packing as soon as the
consignment arrives ______ your end.
2. Please mark the bales ______ our initials SCC ______ a diamond.
3. This is to apply ______ all orders unless otherwise specified.
4. Owing ______the delay _____ the part of the suppliers, we must ask you to extend the date
______shipment ______September 10 th ______October 10 th .
5. We wish to draw your attention ______the fact that the date ______delivery is approaching,
but ______ ______the present moment we have not received any news ______you.
6. As the manufacturers cannot get all thequantity ready at the same time, it is necessary for the
contract stipulations to be so worded as to ______partial shipment.
7. Enclosed is one set of the shipping documents ______this consignment, as ______.
8. As the only direct steamer which calls ______ our port once a month has just departed, goods
can only be shipped next month.
9. Please take the matter ______ ______at once and see to it that the goods are delivered
without further delay.
10. The packing must be strong enough to withstand ______ handling.
11. Today we shipped the above consignment ______board S. S. “Nellore” which sails
______your port tomorrow.
12. We could not deliver the total quantity ______ one shipment.
13. Shipment is _______ ______made ______April to June ______three equal lots.
14. We shall be obliged ______ you will effect shipment as soon as possible.
15. Packing of our Men’s Shirts is each ______ a poly bag, 5 dozen _______ a carton lined with
water-proof paper and bound with two iron straps outside.
III. Correct the inappropriate words and expressions :
1. Only by the end of the next month these goods can be packed ready for delivery.
2. Having no direct steamer to your port from Dalian, the goods have to be transshipped at Hong Kong.
3. Please send us full instructions for the ten cases for London such as contents, value, consignee and who pays all the charges.
4. All powders are wrapped in plastic bags and packed in tins, which the lids are sealed with adhesive tape.
5. As requested, we are already carried out making and numbering on all cases.
6. For the boxes are possible to receive rough handling at this end, you must see to it that packing is strong enough to protect goods.
7. In order that we facilitate to sell, it would be better to pack the goods in cases of 50 dozen each equally.
8. We would ask you to do everything probable ensuing punctual shipment.
9. All negotiable set of B/L making out of order must be endorsed by the shipper.
10. You may rest assured that we will have the goods been shipped before April 20th.
IV. Complete the following sentences:
1. Please send us your shipping instructions, 以便我们办理海关手续
2. According to the contract stipulations, 买方必须在九月份内完成货物的装运工作
3. We would rather…than…装直达轮，而不是在新加坡转船
4. It is expressly stated that 货物必须于 10 月底前装船