Key to Exercises of Unit 10
I. Translate the following phrases:
1. in question (所谈到的) 2. make compensation for （对…做出补偿）
3. tinned goods （罐装货） 4. in good condition （状态良好）
5. shipping company （船务公司） 6. expiry date （到期日）
7. freight space（舱位） 8. unloading port （卸货港）
9. dispatch money （速遣费） 10. estimated time of arrival （预计到达时间）
II. Put in the missing words:
1. of, at 2. with, in 3. to 4. to, on, of, from, to 5. to, of, upto, from 6. allowing
7. of, follows 8. at 9. into account 10. rough 11. on, to 12. in 13. to be, from, in
14. if 15. in, to
III. Correct the inappropriate words and expressions :
1. these goods can be packed→can these goods be packed
2. Having no direct steamer →As there is no direct steamer
3. such as→as to
4. which→whose/the lids of which
6. For the boxes are possible →As the boxes are likely
7.In order that we→In order to
10. been ⅹ
IV. Complete the following sentences:
1. in order that we may handle customs formalities.
2. thebuyer must finish in shipping the goods within September.
3. ship the goods by direct steamer than transship it via Singapore.
4. thegoods must be shipped before the end of October.
V. Translate the following sentences into English:
1.We regret that the goods should be repacked in small bags, say, half a pound or one pound in order that we can push the sales of it.
2 .The packing of the goods must be improved in order to fit for seaworthy condition.
3. We may see our way to advance time of shipment to July after checkingthestocks.
4. Small cases are light and compact, easy to be stored and to be sold.
5. Please mark the cases as per the drawing given.
6. Please draw on us a draft against the invoice value before shipping the goods.
7. We hereby inform you that you should be held responsible for any losses arising from late delivery and improper packing.
8. You are requested to act according to the buyer’s shipping instructions in order to go through the customs smoothly.
VI. Write to a firm of shipping agents asking them to arrange for consignment to be collected from your factory and make all arrangements for transportation on Dares Slaam. Include imaginary particulars as to nature of consignment, names and addresses ofconsignment of consignors and consignee, and say who will take delivery of the consignment upon arrival.
Thank you very much for your efforts you have made in arranging the last lot of the goods.
This time, we commission you to arrange for the consignment to be collected from our factory as usual. You book shipping space on S. S. “Dare Slaam” on our behalf for the consignment of 590 metric tons black beans, packed in gunny bags, 100kgs each. The consignor is still ABC company, the consignee is Smith & John Co. Ltd. At the port of destination the Smith & John manager to take delivery when the consignment arrives.